Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Diary of a Fangirl: Much Ado About Nothing


Through a series of serendipitous events, I happened across a couple of tickets to a pre-screening of Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing."  I've never read the play or seen any adaptation of it, so I went in totally cold.  For those who are just as clueless as I was, it's a modern spin on Shakespeare's play by the same name, where friends conspire to pair up two folks who loathe each other, and a side story of two other folks who are in love, but are broken up by lies and deception by those around them.  Yeah.

Being a Whedonite for some number of years, I've heard the various tales about how Joss would have cast members read Shakespeare at his house, and I'm glad he finally got to bring it to life.  However, I do wish I'd been able to see more Buffy/Angel alum (and reading this just...broke my heart).  Although, I am glad Felicia Day was nowhere in sight.


Everyone was great in this film, but I have to say (and I'm happy to say) that Alexis Denisof.  Stole.  The. Show.  The man was just...brilliant, and good god, have I missed him on screen, and was ridiculously happy to see his gorgeous face on the silver screen.  The man has such a range, people!  And it's about time people beyond fandom got to witness it.  Additionally, what a brilliant stratagem of Joss or the Powers That Be or whoever held onto this film until post "The Avengers" success.  I think this might actually get seen by the masses, and I am happy for it.


The directing was great and the acting was well done.  The film is quite funny, and will leave those familiar with the source material more than happy, and those who aren't well entertained.

It's been awhile since I've read or seen anything Shakespeare, and this film was true to Shakespeare's script (except for one of Benedict's lines which was not PC).  I must admit that my ears had to adjust to the language.  But once you do, it goes on fine.  Also, insults in those days were so much more colorful, inventive, and insulting than they are today.  We should go back to that.

[Literature!! I love you.]

In short, when this film comes to your down, go and take a gander.  You won't be disappointed.




    

No comments:

Post a Comment