Sunday, June 17, 2012

Diary of a Fangirl: Slayathon

Yesterday, I went to the annual Slayathon event, which raises money for the Make A Wish Foundation.  It entails 12 hours of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel goodness.

It's been a few years since I've been to one of these, and now that I was there again, I can't believe I didn't take the Saturday off each preceding year to come to this shindig.  Or hootenany as it were.



The last time I came, I won the trivia contest.  The grand prize was the Buffy high school library.  This year...I became the champion once again!  I even sang one of my answers.  I was asked why Spike wanted to kill himself (I said because he felt pathetic, which was the general sentiment, and they let me slide even though the "official" answer was he wasn't able to scar people), what song appeared on Angel at least three times ("Oh Mandy!" which, I sang into the mic), and finally a three parter--Which ep had very little to no dialogue ("Hush"), which episode was a musical ("Once More With Feeling") and which ep had no musical score ("The Body").  I think there was only two questions I didn't know of all of the questions asked, but at least those questions didn't land on my turn.  Additionally, I think some folks got burned because they weren't as big of Angel fans as they were fans of BtVS.  They are missing out.

My prize this year was a BuffyBot (and not a bot!Buffy or...whatever, comics) action figure, and a poster that said "Joss Whedon is my Master."

Nick Brendon was the host!  He was hilarious, smelled delish, and gave great hug (like he always does).  I was thrilled when he said he'd be back again next year, and I so hope that actually happens.  I missed the beggining parts of Slayathon (Bad!Jill) and therefore, his commentary on an ep (which I heard was awesomely funny), but I was there when he hosted the live auction (there was a silent one as well), and was just as funny and good natured as usual.  It's nice to see an actor be so down to earth as he is--what a dissapointment it can be when you hear one of the actors or actresses from your favorite show is a total asshat to their fans.  Nick has no such problem, and he really is a joy to be around.

Also, it was great to be amongst "my people" (i.e. big, flaming geeks like myself).  It's hard to be a fangirl when you're the only one of your friends in the tri-state area who fangirls the same show/stuff as you do.  Although I did run into one of my good friends from beyond the fandom world, who I went to school with--Rob! 

Anyway, it really is the small things in life that make you (and keep you) happy.  Can't wait until San Diego Comic Con.

No comments:

Post a Comment