Friday, July 6, 2012

Diary of a Fangirl: The Amazing Spider-man

Spoilers, but not really.

Yesterday, I saw "The Amazing Spider-man" with my siblings, and I have to say it was very well done.  The execution and the story itself was much tighter than the Tobey Maguire version (and also, Andrew Garfield is a  lot nicer to look at).

The villain was more human (er, so to speak) and gray as opposed to the straight black/white villains and arcs of the previous Spider-man films, which always irked me, frankly (Peter--you and your black spidey suit wasn't evil; you were just a douchebag).

I still don't get why Uncle Harry had to die in the first film for Peter to learn responsibility...especially since it was Martin Sheen (and Sally Field made a great Aunt May).  Couldn't he have made it until the sequel or something?

Note: I don't consider most of this spoilers, since anyone who's reading this has probably seen the first "Spider-man" or read the comic.


The origins story was tweaked, and frankly had more depth of value due to said tweaking.  Peter Parker in this version has more layers, and his change from teen boy to Spider-man was more thought out.

But of course, this is an "in the beginning" type of film, much like the first episode of a series, and is trying to find it's footing.  This is why I think the film wasn't that memorable for me.  A good solid film to be sure, and I don't regret having paid money for it, but an opener all the same.  Actually, trying to think of a film franchise that had a superb opener, and...Well, there is "Iron Man," which was leagues better than the sequel.  [And here's hoping the third installment will bring it back.]

Anyway, if you're into superhero movies like I am, go check out "The Amazing Spider-man."  I don't believe you will be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment