Sunday, August 5, 2012

Diary of a Fangirl: Disney's Cinderella

Once upon a time, when I was a little girl, the first Disney movie I ever saw was "Cinderella."



I was about...two or three at the time, and became completely enamored with the film.  So much so that I would watch it on a loop, and knew the dialogue and songs so well that I didn't even have to look at the screen, and would talk and sing with the movie as I played with my Barbie's.  I don't actually recall doing that, but I know that I can quote it today, and that it is still tied for number one of my "Favorite Movie of All Time" list.

I'v seen a few things on the interwebs hating on this film, talking about lack of woman empowerment and how Cinderella waited for the Prince to come rescue her.  Uh, not true.

Ladies--don't wait around for a prince.  Got out and get him!

What actually happens in the film, after over a decade of emotional abuse and being overworked and over stressed, an elderly woman helps her, gives her the hook-up--



Gets her a dress and vehicle to get her to the dance, where she meets some guy who looks alright (I think the hottest prince was Prince Eric, honestly), and they dance and have a lovely stroll and chat...




But their biological chemistry was on it (So this is love...so  this is love...So this is the miracle that I've been dreaming of...), and essentially, she dug him for him.



But then she has to run, yada yada yada, never learns he is the Prince until later, and is locked in the attic by her abusive Step Mother.

Her animal friends come to the rescue, unlock her from upstairs, and then she is able to speak up for herself, and eventually, marry her man.  But I guess haters gonna hate, right?



Anyway, the only other version I liked was "Ever After," but there were no songs or singing animals.  And this "Cinderella" is a HUGE part of my beloved childhood, and I shall always cherish it.




    

No comments:

Post a Comment