Monday, August 20, 2012

Diary of a Fangirl: I Love Lucy

Today's Guest Post is from me, and about why I love Lucy.


I don't know a ton of things about Lucille Ball, other than the fact that she was talented, hilariously funny, gorgeous, took some wonderful photo ops and was half of the world's first notorious biracial couple in history.




But Lucy Ricardo was a tremendous inspiration to me.  I grew up watching I Love Lucy, The Lucy & Desi Comedy Hour, and The Lucy Show.  The first two, however, influenced me greatly.  Lucy Ricardo was someone was repeatedly told "no," and to not reach for her dreams.  And she ignored everyone who tried to hold her down.


She had big aspirations of being a star, and to also meet them.  Lucy Ricardo loved the celebrity culture, and wanted desperately to be apart of it.  I totally understand how she feels.  These feelings and aspirations were treated as being unreasonable, but no matter what, Lucy never gave up.  She met the celebs she intended to meet, and even got a taste of stardom in her own right by starring in some shows.  Of course the bigger roles were cocked up (i.e. the Italian film and the Hollywood role of featured extra with the giant head piece), but she still mad the opportunity cross her path.



But yes, I've realized, now that I'm older, how much this has influenced me, and how alike we are.  I am known among my friends as the one who has the wacky schemes, and of course, I love celebrity culture.  Furthermore, I don't think I'll ever get sick of watching an I Love Lucy rerun.

Thank you, Lucille Ball.  I wish I'd gotten the chance to have met you.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment